- Client: Netivei Israel - National Transport Infrastructure Company
- Architect: Yenon Ltd. and Ineco (Spain)
- Established: Completed
- Project Description:
A Design-build project with a scope of approx. NIS 200,000 million, including the excavation of two tunnels with a total length of approx. 1,500 meters, and earthworks to create a road embankment with a height of over 24 meters. The project was carried out as part of the upgrade and expands of Highway 1 from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv.
- Drilling and casting of piles + ground anchors drilling for portal excavation.
- Excavating 2 transportation tunnels using NATM method, with 3 lanes, each 750m long including connecting tunnels.
- Inner lining using cast-in-place concrete lining system.
- Cut & cover works at the entrances to the tunnels
- Tunnels Sealing works – by using sealing membranes from PVC sheets, protected by geotextile fabric.
- Civil engineering works, construction of sidewalks, and preparation of electric cable sleeves and plumbing system along the route of the tunnel.
- Earthworks for the construction of an embankment up to 24 meters in height, and the installation of unique drainage systems, including a drainage filter along the valley at the bottom of the embankment, and diverting the Arza stream, at a total length of 650m. Total scope of the works is estimated at 500,000 cubic meters.
- Casting architectural pile walls in the portals.
The excavation work was carried out through an unstable material that was filled in the past by free ejaculation during the paving of Highway No. 1, this situation required special preliminary preparation and slow controlled progress. The excavation was made by drill & blast, utilizing Electra Infrastructure's advanced mechanical engineering equipment, which includes Jumbo - face drilling rigs, surface drilling rigs, multi-use drilling rigs, concrete spraying machines, independent concrete pumps, excavators, telescopic handlers, wheel loaders, and articulated dump trucks as required.